Sunday, December 09, 2012

Duxford (Again)

At the end of October I found myself planning to fly with a fellow group member, Niels. The weather in Manchester, where we are based, was clear and sunny with only scattered clouds. The destination I chose was forecast for heavy rain showers and a nasty, gusty crosswind. That destination was Duxford.

I flew the leg down and Niels the return. My standard route to the Imperial War Museum is to depart Barton to the north of the low level corridor not above 1300 feet then fly to NANTI, LONLO, TIMPO and BIGLI before the approach into Duxford. The weather en route was very nice and presented no problems, but Niels and I were concerned at the strength of the crosswind awaiting at destination. To ensure we had an alternative, we examined other local airfields and found one with a runway into wind, should it be needed. My plan was to make an approach to Duxford and if the wind made a safe landing unsure, divert to the alternate, Bourne.

When we were in the Northampton area, I called Duxford on the radio to get a weather update. If anything , the wind was stronger than earlier and there were heavy showers in the vicinity. The main concern though was not the wind strength, but its crosswind element on the 24/06 runway. The reports were giving the wind as 340-360/20 kts which is a direct crosswind. Duxford information were using runway 24 but that changed to 06 as we approached the aerodrome. We were asked to join downwind right hand for 06, but I could see some weather that would affect that route and additionally there is some higher ground to the south of the runway. I asked for a join on final for 06 and this was approved.

Lining the Piper Arrow up on final was proving challenging as my drift corrections were proving inadequate. At about three miles to run I had us nicely configured with gear down and flap 25 but with a considerable offset heading to counter the wind. I said to Niels that if the approach became in doubt we would go around and divert to Bourne. I planned only one approach to Duxford: if we missed it there would not be a second.

The final wind check from Duxford ATC was 340/17 and, as we neared the ground, I straightened up and touched down nicely, raising the into wind aileron. I was very pleased with the approach and landing. We taxied to the end of the runway and parked just as a torrential downpour arrived and kept us trapped in the aircraft for the next fifteen minutes.

Not many visitors today!

Duxford is a wonderful place to visit with so much to see. However, we headed for the restaurant as we were ready for food and drink. Shall we say they were having a bad day in there as the til was not working properly, there was not enough cutlery and they were low on food!

Niels and I had a wander around the exhibits before heading back to HALC for the journey home. We retraced the inbound route, give or take, and the weather returned to very nice just a few miles north of Duxford. Niels was running Skydemon software on his iPad and I was very interested to see it in action. It was very impressive, working flawlessly on the way home and even helping us around some weather.

Skydemon and iPad: a formidable combination

Back home at Barton I resolved to get an iPad myself, as it looks to be a great backup to the onboard certified units. Watch out for a report on how I get on with that.

Downwind right hand runway 27 Left at Barton

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home