Wednesday, October 19, 2011

A Return To Gamston

My latest fly out was on Saturday October 15th to Gamston Airfield, near Worksop. The last time I visited here was to fly the Diamond DA42NG with Henrik Burkal of Diamond Aircraft, but that was a year ago now. Planning for this flight was completed the day before using my SkyDemon software, although once again I was without a passenger or flying friend.


The weather on the day was probably the only flyable opportunity in the preceding week, so I was lucky fixing my booking for the Saturday and, as a bonus, the plane was mine exclusively for the day. I like to fly with a fellow pilot when possible as the extra eyes are always useful to help with navigation, lookout and actually flying, as there is no serviceable autopilot in the Seneca. However, today I was on my own.

The weather was fairly settled, with a 20-25kt south easterly wind at my planned altitude of 2800 feet, although the visibility was not all that good at around 9000 metres. The estimated time on route was just over thirty minutes if I followed my plan of heading directly to the Pole Hill VOR (vhf navigation beacon), before turning for the ADELU intersection and on to Gamston. The Class A airspace at the POL VOR starts at 3500 feet but lowers to 3000 feet for both Manchester and Leeds Class D on the way to ADELU. I planned to stay beneath this airspace although a transit of Doncaster’s Class D would be required to route directly to Gamston.

After uplifting 180 litres of Avgas I had approximately 300 litres in the tanks, giving a range of just over three hours at cruise power. This would be fine for the estimated return trip plus any holding or diversion that may become necessary. The surface wind at Blackpool was 140 degrees at around 10 kts and I taxied to the A1 hold for runway 13. Checks complete, I was soon rolling and airborne with a gentle left turn to head for Pole Hill. I levelled at 2800 feet and was experiencing quite a bit of turbulence and updrafts. The visibility was poor so accurate navigation was needed to stay on track and away from controlled airspace. I also had to monitor the altitude very closely to avoid a vertical airspace infringement. The workload was high and there was no time to relax and enjoy the views!

I managed to pass directly over the POL VOR and headed towards ADELU. I had the power set around 32 inches of manifold pressure, propellers at 2400 rpm and was seeing an indicated airspeed of 165kts. I was using GPS as my primary means of navigation with the VOR as a backup. Before long I was approaching the City of Sheffield and called Doncaster Radar to advise them of my intentions and request clearance through their airspace, en route Gamston. I was granted a clearance not below 2800 feet and not above 3000 feet. I wanted to be above the Netherthorpe Airfield circuit, which was on my track, and then planned to descend after that. Doncaster released me from the altitude restriction as I pulled the power back to slow to around 140 kts. Gamston Radio then gave me the runway in use as 21 right hand circuit and I descended and positioned downwind. Gear and flaps were selected down when the speed had decreased and I lined up with the runway at 80 kts for a smooth touchdown.

After turning left off the runway to the parking area, I went to the control tower to pay my landing fee before making my way into the airfield Cafe Bar, "The Apron". This is a very nice, quality place to eat and watch movements on the aerodrome. There is a large TV showing the News channel, with subtitles, so as not to disturb diners, and a very nice looking menu to choose from. I went for the soup, which came with two generous cuts of fresh bread, and a latte. Both were very nice. There is an outside area to sit where a good few people were enjoying the sunshine. Overall it was a very positive experience.


G-GFEY at Gamston Airfield

After lunch I had a look around the hangers and saw some very nice aeroplanes. I was particularly struck with two Seneca Fives that looked in superb condition. One of these had the Avidyne Avionics package with twin Garmin 430s, just the same as I am used to in the Cirrus SR20. The paint finishes on both aircraft looked great! I also saw four DA42s, one of which was the latest NG model that I loved  flying last year.
 

A very appealing Senaca V

Another very appealing Seneca!

DA42NG G-PETS

A couple of days later I noticed that Gamston Flying School were offering DA42s and Seneca Fives for training and hire so I rang them and found that the Avidyne Seneca was available as well as the DA42. I may well go over again and fly these aircraft. Watch for updates on this! After spending a couple of very pleasant hours at Gamston, I prepared to head back to Blackpool.

Slipping into the left hand seat of the Seneca is feeling more and more comfortable as my experience in it grows. There is no doubt it is the most demanding aeroplane I have flown and you have to be alert at all times. Cracking along at 160kts you can find it all going wrong very quickly if you do not pay close attention to where you are, the weather and airspace. But doing these trips solo does build confidence in your own ability. You have to plan your arrival early and SLOW DOWN! Easy to say when you are a touch too high and a tad too fast but you have to learn quickly. Staying current is the most difficult part as weather, time and not least the cost of all this, gets in the way.

I departed Gamston and flew at 1500 feet before turning West and then tracking to ADELU on the way home. This avoided calling up Doncaster for a clearance as their airspace starts at 2000 feet. I climbed to 2800 feet and tracked to POL VOR again before turning towards Blackpool. I tuned in the Blackpool ILS for runway 28 and was positioned to the right of the centreline. Visibility was again poor so I wanted the guidance from this approach aid. However, another aircraft was doing instrument approaches so when the controller asked me to position to the North of the M55, I did just that and positioned right base for runway 28. I had to orbit and hold and it all got a bit untidy with other traffic before I lined up on final approach. Another good landing followed and I taxied in to park the aircraft.

Winter is surely on the way now as we have had a longish run of very poor weather that has kept me grounded on several occasions. I am hoping to fly the Cessna 172 next Saturday, but the weather does not look likely to allow this to happen. We shall see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home