Friday, April 15, 2011

More Multi and Glenforsa (Isle of Mull)

MORE TRAINING ON THE SENECA

Since I flew a Piper Seneca, I have had my interest in “old generation” aircraft renewed. I felt quite at home behind the controls of the Seneca model one, and even more so when I flew the model two, of which I am a part owner. I mentioned in an earlier post that this is because it is very similar to the Piper Arrow I fly, albeit with two throttles, two propeller controls etc. So for my first flight in April, I chose to do some dual time in the PA34-200T (turbo) Seneca and concentrate on coping with engine failures.

My instructor for this training was Nick Brown. I knew he would not only make me work hard, but also impart some good tips and operating techniques on this type of light twin. On strapping in, he immediately gave me a simulated engine fire on start up. “Okay Dave”, he said, “What are you going to do?” I went through my actions including mixture cut off, magnetos off, fuel off, master switch off etc, but forgot to keep the starter turning to draw the fire into the engine. Crickey, told off even before the engines were running!

We taxied for the full length of Blackpool’s runway 28 as I gave Nick my takeoff brief. I covered all the required points but he said it was too long winded. It should be brief and concise. After takeoff we headed up over Morecambe bay and Nick started to enjoy himself by simulating engine failures, lots of them: from straight and level, in turning flight and climbing flight. I correctly identified the failed engine every time, but drew criticism for being too eager to feather the propeller and secure the engine from a cruise failure. Nick said I did what all students do: by rigour carry out all the drills but without first looking to identify what was wrong and why the engine failed. He was quite correct of course. When you have plenty of altitude and have regained control of the aircraft take time to see if you can resolve the problem before you feather the propeller! So, check the fuel is on along with the magnetos, try alternate air. Is the engine on fire? Is there any oil escaping? If not, switch on the fuel pump as this may restore partial power. Only then should you secure the engine and decide your next move.

All this was really good stuff, just what I wanted to cover. We then headed back to Blackpool for engine failure after take- off practice and a single engine landing. My first approach was with both engines running and we landed for a touch and go. Nick raised the flaps and I applied take off power. At 500 feet Nick failed the left engine on me. I followed the correct actions and got the aircraft established in the circuit for a single engine approach. However, Nick was not finished with me yet! He informed me we would descend to 300 feet and go around. Nick’s mantra was “gear and flaps wait for no one” so I raised them both whilst applying power and established a climb. Nick said I needed more rudder, “push it all the way”. I could feel the strain on my leg as I battled to hold the plane in balance at the correct climb speed. The Seneca slowly went up and this was a great illustration of the fact that when you lose an engine you lose 50% of your power, but around 80% of your performance. The rate of climb was only 250 feet per minute and we were only two up and under half fuel! Once more around the circuit and I landed with only one engine producing thrust. The session was over.

We flew one hour twenty minutes and it was a great investment in safety for me. Thanks Nick, we’ll do it again in six months!


Senaca parked after our training sortie


GLENFORSA
Saturday April 9th looked set to be a good day for flying. There was a high pressure system over the UK and I had our Piper Arrow G-HALC booked for a trip: but where to? I’d texted my friend Niels to see if he wanted to share a flight and he came back suggesting Glenforsa airfield on the Isle of Mull. That sounded good to me.
We met at 10am at Barton where I had prepared HALC for departure. We had 40 gallons of fuel and the two of us and our flight bags. The air temperature was warm and rising and there was a slight crosswind. The calculations said we’d make it off ok and we did. However acceleration was slow and it seemed to take a long time to hit climb speed after we were air-born. The departure profile was lower than usual on my least liked runway 09.
We climbed to 1800 feet, then slowly up to FL60 talking to Blackpool ATC. We tracked East of the Tall Tower and then overhead Barrow, transferring to Scottish Information. We established that the Danger Areas on our track were inactive and routed directly to the Turnberry VOR on the West coast. Scottish asked us to fly 6000 feet on their QNH as we set course for the TABIT intersection. This track took us past the East coast of Arran, spectacular as it was barren. On we went, to pass East of the BRUCE intersection and over Mull.

We had a fairly strong southerly tailwind which saw us achieve ground speeds of over 150kts, which was good. However, I had been warned that the approaches to Glenforsa in a southerly wind were difficult and turbulent, with wind-shear and associated sink on final. Mull has some very high terrain so I arrived still at 6000 feet, wary of any turbulence, but it wasn’t long before I spotted the airfield below. I started the descent admiring the great landscape and eventually positioned down wind left hand for runway 07 at 1000 feet. There is a hill on final approach to the runway, so I chose a curving, descending flight path and, as warned, encountered wind shear. However, I was ready and applied power as we were thrown around for a few seconds at low altitude before I touched down. A small bounce and we were down for good and slowing. Phew, that was interesting! We were in the air 1hr 40mins, including the protracted descent.



The calm after the approach! HALC admires the view from Glenforsa Airfield
 
HALC at Glenforsa

Niels and I had a meal in the Glenforsa Hotel, followed by a walk to get some air. The Isle of Mull is a very spectacular and remote area. It was well worth the visit.

It was now Niels’ turn to be PIC as we departed runway 07, again encountering turbulence as we passed the upwind end of the runway. We routed around Mull before climbing and setting course for Prestwick where we could pick up fuel. We stopped briefly at Prestwick, arriving and departing on runway 31.

Niels flew us out towards Dean Cross VOR before turning south to follow the coast down to Blackpool. The visibility was not too good in haze as we passed the nuclear power at Seascale before routing to the Barrow overhead, then the Blackpool overhead at 4000 feet. We passed Warton Aerodrome, eventually descending into Barton to land on runway 20.

Another great day’s flying completed and it’s only mid April!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home