Thursday, November 17, 2011

Diamond Twinstar NG at Gamston (Part 1)

The Twinstar I have been flying for around three years is currently grounded. The problem this time is rather serious in that it needs two new engines and a lot of cash to return it to service. When the DA42 is working it is a really great airplane, but the problem over those three years has been that when it is not working, months of downtime and frustration results.

This year has not been too bad and the DA42 has been available and working most of the time, until last August 14th that is, and it’s not flown since. In 2008 it was grounded for 19 weeks between October and February 2009. Later in 2009 it was down for 22 weeks between July and November and in 2010 from June to August a further 11 weeks were lost. I have not flown it for three months. Some of the difficulties were due to the engine manufacturer going bust, but it has not proved to be a very robust performer.

My logbook shows around 80 hours flying in the Twinstar and when I recently visited Gamston Airfield I became rather restless and in need of a Diamond fix! In the hangar were several DA42s and after contacting Gamston Flying School, I arranged a flight in a DA42NG for Thursday November 10th. The downside is that the aircraft is only available dual (with an instructor) and so I can’t use it to head off to Ireland or the Channel Islands as I have in the past. However, a good session with an instructor is the best I can manage at present as there is no prospect of the Blackpool Twinstar returning to the sky. My friend Steve was booked in for Sunday 13th November and I planned on going with him on the day to have another hour myself.

The instructor I am flying with is also called Steve and he is a multi engine and IMC examiner so having someone like him available could be useful when future rating renewal flights are required. In my flight I wanted to cover familiarisation on the Austro engines, the autopilot, general handling, engine failure practice, circuits, instrument flying and maybe an ILS. I had thought of flying over from Manchester on the day of my flight but on reflection I decided to drive. My appointment at Gamston was for 11am but getting over to Barton in the morning rush hour to pre flight a Cessna, fuel it up and get to Gamston for 11am, fly the Twinstar then get back before dark sounded way too stressful!

But on the day of the flight there were two problems: the DA42 I was to fly needed a test flight following maintenance and the weather was awful. So no test flight meant both Steve's and my bookings had to be cancelled, as the air test was postponed to the following week.

Two new dates are in the calendar, so an update will follow when the flights take place.

*** Next post on my engine failure in the Seneca***

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home