Sunday, December 09, 2012

Training Session in Seneca

Due to a number of factors, I had not flown the Seneca for around four months. Since the Diamond DA42 at Blackpool was grounded, my multi engine flying has declined markedly and this would be only my seventh multi flight of 2012.

I intend to keep my multi rating current and a session in the Seneca is always welcome as it can be a challenging aircraft to fly. I don't have a lot of hours on this type, around 20, but I do feel at home with it as there are many similarities with our Piper Arrow.

I met my instructor, Stuart, and we devised a plan for the session. I would re familiarise myself with the operation and handling of the aircraft, carrying out all the checks etc, and then do some general handling over Morecambe bay. We would simulate an engine failure and actually shut down the engine in flight. A return to Blackpool and an ILS would complete the training.

Sat in the aircraft and running through the checklist, I soon felt at ease. I requested a back track of Blackpool's runway 28 and lined up, calling "ready for departure" to atc. I always take the full length of the runway in a multi engine aeroplane. Cleared for take off I advanced the throttles to the maximum setting of 40 inches in this turbo-charged plane. Getting the power set whilst holding against the brakes can be tricky: the throttle lever positions do not match exactly so for the same throttle position there can be different power on the engines. Clearly you need symmetrical power before you release the brakes and you have to take care not to overboost the engines. There are two yellow lights that illuminate if you over power so sometimes the throttle needs adjusting on the take off roll. There's a lot to think about.

Climbing away from the runway, I selected gear up and reduced power to 34 inches and 2400 rpm. I levelled eventually at 6000 feet and set 25 inches power which gave us around 140 kts indicated. This is fine for training, but normal cruise is 160 to 165 kts at 90 litres of fuel per hour. This aircraft is fast, and with the turbos will hold this speed at high altitude.

I played around with the plane, turning left and right, flying between clouds and having fun. This was enjoyable as well as serious stuff. Stuart gave me a simulated engine failure next. I didn't have any problems identifying the "failed" engine as the right hand one. Under Stuart's watchful eye, I feathered the propellor and moved the mixture to cut off. We were now a single engine plane. Professional aircrew have closed down the wrong engine on accident aircraft so you need to be very careful in your actions. Under stress this can be a difficult emergency to deal with.

I did some turns with the one engine I had before Stuart told me to put the aircraft into a descent as we attempted to restart the engine. It was reluctant to start initially but happily it was soon running again and I was back to a twin.

I called Blackpool ATC and asked for radar positioning for an ILS. We were still at 6000 feet and were given a heading to follow but no descent. I asked Stuart whether I should ask for descent but he said leave it to atc. We ended up descending at over 1000 feet per minute and were taken through the localiser inbound course. This does not make things any easier, but I got established and completed a rather scrappy approach. I was not too pleased with it, but was able to land nicely after I looked up at 500 feet and was just a little to the south of the required track.

Parking up, Stuart said I was fine for solo and I logged another 1hr 20mins in the Seneca. With the generally poorer weather over the winter, it remains to be seen if I can get any more flights in this year.

PA34-200T Piper Seneca

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home