Friday, September 05, 2008

Multi Engine IMC Endorsement

On the 21st of August I finally was able to get my IMC (Instrument Meterological Condition) rating endorsed for multi-engine aeroplanes.

I wanted to combine this flight with some recurrent training in the Twinstar following my checkout at the end of May. So I discussed this with Martin my instructor/examiner and agreed we would do a stall in the approach configuration and some engine failure practice simulations. We did the stall first and it was a non event, no wing drop or abrupt stall just a mushiness as the plane descended. This over I successfully contained engine failures visually before going on instruments and doing the same again. Some turns towards and against the dead engine went well and so we called Blackpool and commenced an instrument approach via radar vectoring to the ILS (Instrument Landing System).

It had been a while since I had flown an ILS but I was very pleased with the outcome as I managed to track both localiser and glidepath all the way down to 500feet. As we taxied in Martin told me he was happy to sign me off for IMC flying on multi engine aeroplanes. Excellent!

Nine days later it was time to fly again, this time with Janet on her trip to the seaside. Once again it was over to Caernarfon where we spent a few hours walking on the beach and having a paddle and ice cream before returning to the airfield and then Blackpool. The return flight was routine although we had to hold while a 737 lined up and departed from runway 10. I requested runway 13 and we were soon taxing in from another trip. A meal in a local pub went down well as did my pint of lager before Janet drove us home. A good day again.




Me and the 42 stand 5 at Caernarfon
The beach near Caernarfon aerodrome