Friday, March 11, 2011

February/March 2011

As we move into March, I have continued flying by renewing my multi and IMC rating in one flight in a Piper Seneca 1 at Blackpool. I have not flown that type of aircraft before and was not sure I wanted to! After a couple of years in the Twinstar I was not too enthusiastic about regressing, in aviation terms, to an old generation aircraft. However, on actually sitting in the Seneca, I felt very "at home" as it is very similar to HALC, my Piper Arrow, except there are two of everything, not one.

The flight test went well and I passed my multi and IMC renewal and emerged with an interest in developing my experience in this new type. To this end I enlisted the help of Stuart Chambers, a flight instructor, and got myself checked out to fly our (Flight Academy) Piper Seneca II. This variant has two 200 horse power, turbo charged engines and is a six seater. It is pretty quick too! A cruise speed of 160 knots IAS means you get to your destination in super fast time. This is a full 25 knots higher than the Twinstar.

For my check flight Stuart and I headed over to Mona airfield on Angelsey. We entered the circuit and I completed five landings and take offs, working very hard on flying accurately. All went well and Stuart announced he was happy with my flying, which was my cue to land and get us both a cup of tea.

For the return to Blackpool we lined up on runway 04 climbing through cloud into the clear at 3500 feet. The impression of speed just above the clouds was startling as we headed directly home. The visibility was very poor as we spotted the runway for an arrival on the easterly tarmac. Another ok landing and I was qualified on another type.

The problem with all these types I can fly is trying to stay current on them. That is a challenge for the coming Summer.

Take a walk around the Seneca II with me .....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home