Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Seneca and Cirrus SR20

I had a few extra days off work prior to Christmas and wanted to fly at least once more this year. The only suitable day appeared to be Thursday December 22nd and as the Seneca was free for a lunchtime slot, I promptly booked it via the internet.

I did not have anything I particularly wanted to do, just fly and remain current on type. It would also be my first chance to fly the Seneca since the engine problem that grounded me at Carlisle a few weeks ago. Come Thursday lunchtime, the aircraft arrived back at base with plenty of fuel on board for my flight. After I had checked it out for serviceability, I booked out with air traffic control and climbed aboard. My friend Bernard had asked if he could come along for the short trip but it did not work out, as he also wanted to fly the Cessna 172 and do a few circuits. So with just me on board, I strapped in and settled down to complete the cockpit checks.

The check list is very important in a multi engine aircraft as the systems can be more complicated than a single engine plane. With no distractions from passengers, I carefully went through the check items and started the two Continental turbo-charged engines. Tuning the ATIS gave me the airfield weather conditions which showed I would have a significant crosswind component today. The surface wind was gusting as I lined up on runway 28 and applied left aileron into the wind. Advancing the throttles to take-off power, I released the brakes and started the take-off roll. The crosswind was not a problem as the Seneca handled it fine and I turned right to climb to 3000 feet heading up the coast past the tall tower. I went through my usual routine of handling and just getting the feel of the airplane. I had throttled well back to give an indicated airspeed of around 130kts and that was fine for just ambling around. Lower power settings conserve fuel and the plane was due on a training flight after my little trip. My economy settings would save the next crew from refuelling.

Returning to Blackpool, I passed east of the tall tower and lowered the undercarriage, setting flap to10 degrees. The surface wind was still strong and close to the limits for the Seneca. I decided to try a landing with only 25 degrees of flap and a slightly higher airspeed. The flap setting was fine but that excess airspeed resulted in a couple of gentle skips along the runway as the plane slowed down and tried to stop flying. That is the second time I have carried excess speed into the final stage of the landing - it did not work either time! I won’t do that again.

I taxied back to the apron and shut down having logged forty-five minutes of multi time. I’d had a pleasant flight that also kept me in practise on the type.

I was back on the ground for 2pm and was thinking of what else to do when I discovered that the Seneca flight training sortie for later had been cancelled. This meant that the instructor who was due to fly with the student was now free and so was a Cirrus SR20. I have very little night flying in my log book, with none at all on single engine planes. This is because of a colour vision deficiency which precludes me from holding a night qualification. However, there is nothing to stop me flying with an instructor at night.

I have not flown the Cirrus SR20 for around nine months but I soon settled down in the cockpit as I went through the checks. Stuart, my instructor, sat in the right seat as we taxied out to runway 28. The departure was to be day, although the light was very poor and fading as I lifted the SR20 into the crosswind that was still blowing. I climbed to 3000 feet, passing up the coast and admiring the evening lights that were glowing below. This was fun! After a few minutes the light went and we were surrounded by blackness with the lights of Fleetwood below and Morecambe off to the right. I did some turns and then flew up past Barrow airfield just getting used to this new environment. I was having no difficulties at all in flying and maintaining spatial awareness.

I flew on instruments and visually all with no problems. We headed down the M6 towards Preston, setting up for the ILS at Blackpool. I tuned the NAV1 GNS430 to the ILS and set the inbound course while the autopilot held the current heading and altitude. I turned the Cirrus onto a closing heading for the localiser and watched as the autopilot became established and commenced descent. The runway was clearly visible from eight miles out and I called air traffic at two miles, as requested, and was cleared to land. Stuart had briefed me that I should keep power on until the landing light revealed the runway before raising the nose and feeling for the ground. The crosswind was blowing very strongly and the landing was safe but not very refined. More practice would be required to get the landings sorted and up to standard, but I was happy with the trip and it further extended my experience.

I am now toying with the idea of doing the night course even though I would not be able to fly solo at night. If all went well perhaps I could appeal to the CAA to give me an exemption. Was that a pig that just flew by!


Cirrus SR20 G3 GTS similar to the one I flew recently

These flights proved to be my last of 2011 as further attempts to fly were thwarted by bad weather. All being well, I will continue these blog entries in 2012 as I approach my 30th anniversary as a pilot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home