Sunday, January 22, 2012

G-HALC PA28R: first flights of 2012

I have owned a share in a Piper Arrow for just under ten years. When I first became an owner I flew it a lot with a couple of other group members. This new concept to me of co-ownership, rather than renting a flying school machine, revolutionised, and rejuvinated, my flying. I rapidly gained confidence to extend my flights to longer distances and foreign climes.

However, as I have extended my "portfolio" of aircraft to fly the Twinstar, Seneca, SR20 and C172SP, the arrow has been left on the shelf, so to speak. It had been six months since I last flew it and I felt inclined to fly it again as, after all, I am paying to keep it.

January 14th was a good flying day, with only the threat of fog, in certain areas, giving rise for caution. I pulled HALC from her home in the hangar, fired her up and taxied to the fuel pumps. The runway was soft, there was little wind, and I wanted to be light for departure on 27R which is only just over 500 metres long. Fuelled to the tabs, I had 135 litres of fuel on board, enough for over three hours in the air. HALC accelerated nicely and we were soon climbing way to 1250ft heading for the low level route. I turned south near Warrington and headed down to the NANTI intersection, then to NOKIN near Wrexham and DOGIT near Mold. I spoke to Hawarden Radar and cruised at 2000 feet with a reduced power setting of 21" manifold pressure, 2400 rpm and a fuel flow of 9 usg/hr or approx 35 litres per hour. I was in no hurry and the lower power setting would conserve fuel.

I flew south of Rhyl at just over 3000 feet and headed down to Bangor before joining the Caernarfon circuit left hand runway 08 for a smooth landing. I taxied to stand 5 and shut down.

Just over half an hour later, and fortified by a sausage sandwich, I took off from runway 08 and climbed in the circuit towards a planned 5000 feet to head off over the mountains to Welshpool, before turning on track for Tatenhill where I planned to refuel. To the south of my track I could see extensive areas of fog and on listening to Welshpool radio found they were reporting visibility of 200 metres in fog. Passing their overhead, I saw nothing and turned onto a direct track for Tatenhill. Once past the fog, I descended to 2500 feet and tuned the Shawbury VOR to confirm my position as passing Shrewsbury, then Stafford. Making sure I stayed clear of the Cross Hayes gliding site I joined overhead for runway 08 and landed as requested with a slight tailwind. I taxied off the runway directly to the fuel pumps and replenished my supplies back up to the tabs, or 135 litres or so.

There is a small but new eating area at Tatenhill and I had a cup of coffee which was great value at only 80 pence. As I was concerned about fog reforming, I was soon on my way again. I taxied down the grass to the run up area for runway 08 and was soon headed back to the bottom of the low level route. Checking the weather on the way showed no sign of the fog returning and so I flew around Winter Hill a few times before heading back to Barton for a landing on 27R.

I felt totally at ease with the plane despite not flying it for so long. My first flights of the year completed, I entered just under four more hours into my log book later that evening.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home