Monday, April 09, 2012

Multi Engine Renewal in Seneca 1

Every twelve months my rating to fly multi engine aeroplanes has to be renewed by a flight test with an examiner. This year, as last, I arranged to do this at Blackpool, flying a Piper Seneca 1. My rating was due to expire in early May this year, but you can renew anytime within three months of the expiry date and still get the twelve months validity from the original date.
My first date for renewal was cancelled due to poor visibility and a low cloud base, but two weeks later the flight was on, although the conditions were only a little better than the previous occasion.
The aircraft for the test was a Seneca 1 that looked a little “tired” and had old avionics. This would not matter as the test is mainly on handling the aircraft and single engine work.
I usually fly a turbo charged Seneca 2 where take off power is limited to 40 inches of manifold pressure, but this earlier model had normally aspirated engines. Lined up on runway 28 at Blackpool, I opened the throttles to maximum and departed the circuit to the North, over Morecambe bay. Here I was asked to do normal turns both left and right before 360 degree turns at high bank angles. Next came a clean stall recovery, followed by gear and flap down stall recoveries from level and turning flight. I was given a simulated engine failure and had been briefed to actually close the engine down. The right engine was feathered and I then had to complete turns and handling on the left engine before restarting the right.
Next came a go around from the approach configuration of gear down and full flaps as if on a missed approach, or blocked runway. Returning to the circuit for a normal two engine touch and go and a planned single engine landing, wrapped up the test for another year.
I was pleased to extend my rating as I was planning to fly a Twinstar two days later, and having a freshly renewed rating was good to show the owner. Still a lot of flying to come this weekend, and I'm looking forward to it all.
<>  
Seneca 1 used for my multi renewal flight

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home