Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Piper Arrow and Cirrus SR20

During the first couple of weeks of May, I did some local flying in G-HALC, my grouped Piper Arrow, and also had a Cirrus SR20 flight out of Blackpool.


The first Sunday morning in May, I flew a navigation exercise out of Barton, up to the Pole Hill VOR,  then a north-westerly track to nearby the Cark parachuting centre, westward to Barrow Walney Island and from Barrow a southerly track to the Blackpool airport overhead. A left turn back to Barton completed the trip. The weather was lovely and it was a nice relaxing flight, with great visibility. The clouds were building around the southern Lake District as I flew between them at 4300 feet, but south of that was great flying weather. I was solo on the flight and landed back at Barton just over an hour after take-off.
The following Saturday I booked a dual session in the SR20, which I haven’t flown since late last year. I flew up to Blackpool in HALC before refreshing my currency in the Cirrus again. An hour was all it took and I felt at home in the aircraft very quickly. Stuart Chambers, my instructor, was happy to sign me off for solo. A twenty minute flight back to Barton in the arrow rounded off the day’s flying and I put HALC back in the hanger. It’s a little indulgent to fly rather than drive to Blackpool, but what the heck, enjoy it while you can is my motto!


The next trip I have planned is to this year’s Aero Expo event at Northampton’s Sywell airport over the weekend of 25th, 26th and 27th of May. The weather is looking promising for this event and I’m planning to fly there in the SR20, with a colleague from Aircraft Grouping. I’ll write about this in my next post.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home