Sunday, March 17, 2013

IMC Test in PA34 Seneca


The United Kingdom’s Instrument Meteorological Conditions (I.M.C.) Rating has been a useful add-on to the Private Pilot’s Licence for many years. I first obtained this rating in the 1980’s and, after letting it expire, renewed my privileges around five years ago.

With an IMC rating a PPL holder can fly in much reduced visibility and may carry out instrument approaches to suitably equipped airfields. The requirement to remain clear of cloud and in sight of the surface is removed from the basic licence and hence flying in the clouds is possible. Whether this is a good idea or not depends on the type of cloud and the air temperature, as airframe and propeller icing is a possible consequence of prolonged exposure to those conditions.

The main benefit of the IMC rating in my case, is that it enables me to fly up through any clouds and cruise, in hopefully good visual conditions, to the destination. This strategy keeps the aircraft clear of obstructions, i.e. hills and masts, and avoids trying to navigate at lower altitudes and in poorer visibility. If the cloud beneath the airplane is solid at destination, then an instrument approach can be flown to enable a landing.

There are a few “gotchas” however! As the IMC rating is not a full Instrument Rating, flight in airways (Class A airspace) is not allowed. This sometimes is, and sometimes isn’t, a problem. If there is no Class A above the route, then a climb through the clouds continues until the airplane breaks into the clear. If there is Class A above, then the climb would have to be stopped before entering that airspace, and this may require prolonged flight in potential icing conditions. It’s not enjoyable for pilot or passengers to fly in the clouds for extended periods.

Recently I converted my licence to the new EASA regulatory body and the name of the IMC Rating has changed. It’s now called an IRR(A), or Instrument Rating Restricted (Aeroplane). The privileges are the same, only the name has changed. It’s a bit confusing to some, as it sounds like a full Instrument Rating, but it’s not.

The IRR(A) requires a flight test every 25 months, and mine was due recently. I’d had some practice in our Piper Arrow but I was doing my renewal in a Piper Seneca, a twin engine aeroplane. The flight test can be done in a single but I want to use the rating in multi engine planes as well. To avoid two flight tests, I chose to renew in the Seneca, which is just a big Arrow really.

I met my examiner at Blackpool and was briefed on what the test would consist of and who was responsible for various tasks. I checked the aircraft over and we both strapped in. I pressed the starter button for the right engine and nothing happened! The propeller did not move at all. The battery was virtually flat. To cut a long story short, after the engineers had tried two or three other batteries we ended up with a motor car in front of us revving up his engine, with jump leads connected to our plane. This was a comical sight but one that enabled the engines to fire. We were in business at last. This protracted saga meant we were ninety minutes behind schedule and I was feeling rather stressed! I calmed myself and concentrated on the tasks required.

I won’t go through a full description of the flight but the following were some of the elements:

Full panel, 360 degrees level turns left and right.

Levelling off in a climb and descent at specified altitudes whilst continuing to turn onto headings.

A recovery from an unusual attitude (spiral descent) on full panel.

Limited panel manoeuvres, including timed turns.

A simulated engine failure in the cruise and in take off configuration.

Turns, climbs and descents on single engine.

Simulated single engine go-around.

SRA approach with a minimum descent altitude of 600 ft.
All performed "under the hood".

After landing,I felt all had gone reasonably well and I was rewarded with a pass. My IRR(A) is now valid for another couple of years and I’ve just got to do my multi engine renewal test in a few weeks, to be good to go for the coming year.
The Seneca really is a lovely aeroplane to fly. It’s old 1970’s technology but it’s very rugged and fast. The biggest downside though, is it’s appetite for Avgas!


1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Glad I found your blog.
I'm a Canadian PPL holder with ~18 years experience, and recently started IFR training for the reasons you describe.
I will continue to read your blog; I just found it a few minutes ago and wanted to comment.
you can find me on YouTube, user "FlightChops".

1:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home