Saturday, February 20, 2016

A Return to Flying

I have done very little flying since my heart attack in November 2014. However, following extensive rehabilitation I have now regained a medical certificate and can fly "in command" again.

During my down time I have continued to fly with other qualified pilots and instructors to ensure I remain in reasonably current practice. At the moment I cannot obtain the class of medical certificate needed to fly P1 in multi engine aeroplanes, nor carry out flights under IFR. But I have not let this stop me doing exactly that as I've flown with a suitably qualified pilot in the right hand seat and been able to log the time as dual or not formally at all.

This is a summary of what's been happening during my enforced lay off and a description of my return to logging that "in command" time once again.

My first post heart attack flight was on March 27th 2015, after some four months of recovery. I flew with my instructor but the gods appeared to be against me as the Arrow's undercarriage would not retract after take off and the flight lasted only fifteen minutes. Not a good return to flying, but at least it was a return of sorts.

My next opportunity came in early April 2015 and this time I flew an hour, including some instrument time, on a LOC/DME approach and some circuits. This flight went well and I was pleased with my performance. Two further flights were made in April including my IRR flight test to renew the instrument flying rating that I could no longer use for the time being. There was nothing to stop me taking and passing the test, but, without the appropriate medical, its priveleges could not be used. Still, it was important for me to retain the rating, which I did.

I also hold a multi engine rating (MEP) that needs to be renewed every year by a flight test. To prepare for this I flew three legs left seat in a DA42 Twinstar with a flying buddy with me left seat doing all the work, and him sitting beside me doing nothing. We flew from Gamston to Llanbedr, then on to Welshpool for some circuits, before returning to Gamston. This gave me three hours of useful flight time although it could not be logged. I hoped it would be enough to enable me to pass the MEP flight test a week later. It was, and by the end of August I had renewed my multi rating and, in September, flew the DA42 to Waterford in Ireland for a day out with a fellow pilot and passenger.

To bring us up to date, in January I obtained a new medical certificate to enable single engine flying and following another session with two instructors over last weekend, flew my first P1 time of just over an hour.

I am hoping to try for a higher grade medical certificate early in 2017, but for now this is where I'm at with my flying.

Positive thinking and more flying in 2016 is the prescription and we will see how it pans out!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home